- top rated
The Grand Master of Pianos
The response, dynamics and character of this instrument capture the very essence of a great grand piano. It will inspire your creativity.
About Studio Grand
The Studio Grand features a classic Steinway Model D concert grand piano. The first choice of many pianists, Steinways are famous for their character and unrivaled sound. The included ExploreMaps offer presets in a variety of styles ranging from open and natural to processed and strange. The variety of sounds makes Studio Grand perfect for both production and stage duties.
The Instrument and its Presets
Steinway Model D Grand Piano:
Our Studio Grand features a Steinway Model D Concert Grand piano. At 8' 11 3/4" (274cm) in length, this majestic instrument is the overwhelming choice of the world's greatest pianists. More than ten Steinway Grand Pianos were auditioned before finding the one with the most desirable character: a crystal clear and open timbre with a perfectly balanced resonance.
We approached Studio Grand with production in mind. We found that fitting a grand piano in a mix can be hard and often results in a compromise of the sound quality in order to make it fit with the other instruments and vocals. By offering the exact recording setup in Addictive Keys and the option of mixing and matching microphones, Studio Grand is sure to fit nicely into any production style.
Studio Grand was recorded in a large recording studio at the Swedish Broadcasting Corporation. The studio is famous for being extremely quiet and for having a controlled acoustic ambience; for such a large room the reverberation still sounds tight and airy which is a rare combination and the perfect condition for recording a grand piano.
The recordings were done using rare vintage tube and ribbon microphones capturing the instrument at several different perspectives. From close up perspective with microphones next to the soundboard to far away perspective with natural room ambience. The end result is a warm and vibrant sound that goes from intimate to larger-than-life. The vintage microphones used were hand picked from the studios impressive collection.
We Recorded Using the Following:
- Close (Stereo XY): Neumann M269
- Close (Stereo Wide): Coles 4038
- Close (Mono): RCA 6203
- Mid (Stereo Wide): Neumann M250
- Ambient (Stereo Wide): Neumann M269
- Body (Mono): Sela T25
About Galleries and Exploremaps
Helping you Learn and Discover Sounds:
Our Gallery page (accessed by pressing the "Gallery" button) shows general information about the installed Addictive Keys instruments as well as those available in the online shop. The bottom of the Gallery page shows thumbnails of the available ExploreMaps for the currently selected instrument.
The ExploreMap page (accessed by pressing the "Explore" button) contains a selection of presets that you can easily preview and select with one click. This makes it easy to explore the various possible sounds. Many ExploreMaps also contain convenient macro controllers for fast/easy editing.
- Steinway Model D Grand Piano
- Warm tone and unique sound
- Six selectable mic perspectives
- Addictive Keys works as a virtual instrument running inside your host music software. It supports all of the major plug-in formats: VST, AU and AAX (32 and 64-bit).
- This means you can use Addictive Keys within most music applications including: Pro Tools, SONAR, Cubase, Logic, Live and many others.
- Addictive Keys can also work as a standalone instrument, without requiring host music software. This makes it easy to load an instrument, find an inspiring preset, and start playing without having to launch your music software.
- This is perfect when you just want to play without waiting for music software or deal with routing.