- top rated
On the back of chart-topping Magic Racks: Mix Essentials, we bring you the second instalment in the form of Mixing & Mastering Racks: five indispensable Ableton racks constructed to put intuitive, powerful and versatile mixing and mastering tools at your fingertips.
Designed to make louder, wider, fatter, tighter and punchier tracks easier to achieve than ever, each rack has a career’s worth of mixing and mastering know-how distilled into eight macro controls, allowing you to sculpt incisive mixes and polished masters with a few simple tweaks.
Built solely using Ableton’s native tools, each rack utilises complex processing chains to offer highly-targeted dance-tailored enhancement of both mix and master channels. From the flexible Channel Strip through to the final-stage Mastering Strip, each rack has eight macro knobs to control custom EQs, multi-band compressors, parallel processing, saturation, reverbs, filters, delays and gates to optimise tracks for the dancefloor.
But customisation is also key, and all racks are fully-editable - open them up, tweak parameters, change routings, swap in and out tools - so they fit your workflow seamlessly.
Compiled by Live power-user and SM stalwart Hedflux, Magic Racks: Mixing & Mastering is an essential tool for in-the-box producers seeking release-ready results - allowing you to craft fuller mixes and and louder masters at the turn of a knob.
1. Channel Strip
- A workhorse rack for all channels, bringing the most commonly used mix parameters (and some lesser-know ones too) into a single rack. As well as carefully honed Low, Mid and High EQ macros, you will also find warm tape saturation and custom mix compression with a dedicated attack control. Finally, there’s Presence and Distance controls - the former brings hidden high frequency detail to the front of the mix, whilst the latter increases depth using a combination of gain reduction, filtering, reverb and panning for a truly 3D mix.
2. Drum Strip
- The definitive drum processing rack designed for use on both individual hits and the drum group bus. Macro controls for Tight, Bright, Punch and Thump transform lifeless rhythms into body-popping beats in no time. Those seeking a more lo-fi flavour can dial in the additional Vintage, Dirt and Grot macros to give beats everything from subtle crunch to devastating distortion.
- A powerful sonic enhancement and loudness control that can be applied to any sound source. The eight controls provide custom EQ, bass enhancement, multi-band compression, high end detail, tube saturation, stereo width, mix compression and of course the all-important volume maximisation knob. Used individually, or in one of countless combinations, these compound parameters bring warmth, fullness, fatness and loudness to any sound.
4. Mid-Side Meddler
- A leftfield processor that has found permanent residence on the SM music bus, this device separates the stereo mid-band and side-band into individual channels with gain control, filtering, modulation and spatial effects. Designed for enhancement of stereo sounds, Mid-Side Meddler can be used for subtle widening and stereo correction, giving mix presence to vocals and instrumentation, as well as adding width and movement to pads and leads whilst freeing-up central headroom for other sounds in the mix.
5. Mastering Strip
- Finally, the Mastering Strip is a one-stop shop for super-speedy mastering of your mixes. Taking the mystique out of mastering, it comes with intuitive and powerful controls such as More Sub, More Mids and More Highs, Stereo Width, Cleaner Bass, Master Compression, Gain and Mono Mix. But this is more than a simple EQ and compressor: it uses finely-honed combinations of EQ, multi-band and parallel compression to deliver the kind of smooth sounding response you would expect from high-end gear. Used in tandem with Magic AB, you can create pre-masters that hold their own against fully mastered chart-toppers.
- 5 x Ableton Racks
- 15-page digital booklet containing introduction, installation and operation instructions
Please Note: Ableton Live 9 is needed to use this product.