Welcome to Soundiron's Tuned Artillery Shells
This unique tuned and untuned metallic percussion library is based on dry and hall recordings of spent brass field artillery shell casings from the WWI and WWII eras, plus a few odd extra elements in the same vein – an Eastern Bloc infantry combat helmet and a couple of decommissioned modern hand grenades. Weapons of destruction made beautiful!
Artillery shells and military helmets actually have a long history in modern classical music in the hands of pioneers like Harry Partch throughout the mid and late 20th century. They're not at all uncommon to find in avant-garde classical and experimental music today, used both as untuned anvil-like striking instruments and pitched over a tuned key range. In both cases, the high-quality precision cast and machined brass shell casings produce deeply resonant and harmonically rich qualities, when struck on the sides, edges and base with mallets, hammers, sticks, brushes or bare hands.
This library features well over 3GB of content, including 3026 samples and 110 Kontakt presets, each with a powerful and artfully designed custom user interface. You'll find both tuned and untuned metal percussion elements, with a variety of useful articulations featuring up to 10 velocity layers and 12 round-robins per layer for each one. We've also included a deep bonus collection of hand-crafted ambiences and tonal pads that we created by manipulating the original source material. These soundscapes, drones and textures provide a perfect and quite organic accompaniment to the more traditional multi-sampled library material they were directly derived from. We've also included a range of automatable LFO, EQ, filter, custom convolution, reverb and arpeggiation systems to expand on the creative possibilities that this library offers.
Under the cover of night we infiltrated our favorite recording hall to experiment with some army party favors: a collection of spent artillery shells and head wear. We used out state-of-the-art gear to capture multiple velocity layers in multiple articulations for each piece of Army equipment. Not content with just including 3 mic positions (close, wide and far) we went back and recorded each shell and helmet dry in a booth to really give users the ability to sculpt the sound they want.
We also include several powerful tools to allow you to personalize the library to your needs, with the ability to design your own custom divisi and full ensembles on the fly, with full control over mix, pan, tuning and more. These features allow you to use just the resources you need, while creating the perfect keyboard layout for your personal work-flow.
With standard attack, release, pitch shifting, tuning and offset controls in every instrument, you can dial in the sound you’re looking for, whether you need an epic wet sound or a more intimate and nearly dry feel. We also have easy dynamic shaping, to allow you to focus in just the softer or harder dynamic layers at any time. We've also included full 3 band EQs and FX filters with smooth control response, as well as our custom convolutions and integrated algorithmic reverb FX. Our innovative Uberpeggiator takes it a step further and all of these features combine to open up a huge world of sonic possibility and flexibility. We've even included a fresh set of soundscapes, pads and ambient drones, sculpted from the library source material.
- 4 different Artillery Shells
- 1 Protective Helmet (safety first!)
- 12x Round Robin
- Multiple Velocity Layers
- End and Side Articulations (Shells)
- Top and Edge Articulations (Helmet)
- 3 Mic positions (Close, Wide & Far)
- Dry Articulations for all 5 objects
Controls and FX:
- Custom front panel controls, including all critical performance shaping parameters
- New Multi-Layer Builder Utility allows custom key-range assignments and sample set loading on the fly
- Our groundbreaking "Uberpeggiator" system
- 3 Fully Independent Microphone Positions for all instruments, with an added dry position
- Selectable and fully automatable Kontakt multi-effects including EQ and filters.
- 40 custom convolution IR samples, with fully automatable parameter control
- 3.14 GB installed
- 3,026 Samples
- 112 .nki instrument presets
- 24 bit / 48kHz uncompressed PCM wav audio
- Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
- This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 4.2 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument / software sampler platform.
- Check out screenshots of our custom graphical user interface for Kontakt in the image gallery above (located by clicking the right arrow by the main product graphics). They provide a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode.
- This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library. However, the sample directories are fully accessible to allow user customization, import and mapping into other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats.
- The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab, or import this library into the Kontakt database and Quickload tools for easy navigation, loading and organization.
Please note: The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 4.2.4 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows XP or higher. Mac OSX 10.6 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 2 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library. This software is delivered as a digital download, so a broadband connection is required.