M1 Garand Rifle is an experimental hybrid percussion/sfx instrument designed for professional sound designers, composers, re-recording mixers and music producers. It combines the real-time playability, musicality and control of a virtual instrument with the accessibility and flexibility of a classic professional-grade sound effect library, delivered in a convenient a la cart package for easy download and integration into your workflow. The first in our Fireams series, the Soundiron SFX M1 Garand Rifle library focuses exclusively on this classic and widely used WWII military weapon, and includes the most essential sound effect elements that it produces, from 30-06 caliber gunshots (indoor /outdoor) and brass bounces on two common surfaces to a whole spectrum of mechanical M1 reloading, trigger, handling and firing action sounds. This library is designed to be your M1-in-a-Box, with everything you need in one easy solution. However, since it's recorded in a dry, neutral environment, its ready for easy mixing with other sound libraries. And as always, we explore each sound effect category in great depth, to provide an organic, non-repetitive and lifelike result that is especially ideal for video game sound design and film audio post production, or for use in more unorthodox applications, such as concert percussion. While the sounds are authentic and specific to their source for those doing period work, they can easily be manipulated and employed in any number of other ways.
The .30 Caliber M1 Garand rifle is a classic military firearm that was widely used by the United States during World War II and throughout the mid 20th century. Invented by Canadian-born John Cantius Garand, it was the first semi-automatic infantry rifle fielded widely by any nation and served as the primary infantry weapon for the US and a number of it's allies throughout the war. Primarily chambered for a .30-06 Springfield cartridge (often called “30-aught-six”), with some chambered for .308 Winchester rounds. The rifle had an internal magazine that was loaded with an En-bloc clip, most likely leading to the popularization of the improper term “clip” being applied to any detachable magazine. The slide mechanism is also well known for its tenancy to smash the thumb of the operator during reloading, requiring special care to ride the bolt forward after the clip is inserted. Following WWII, the rifle continued to see service in both the United States military and in the armed forces of a number of nations around the world well into the late 60s and 70s, with a number of regional and specialized variants, until finally being phased out in favor of the M14 carbine and M16 rifle. The M1 is still used by USMC drill teams to this day.
Our library focuses on a .30-06 Garand and covers a full kit of associated sounds, including indoor and outdoor gunshots, spent brass bouncing on concrete and wooden surfaces, weapon shaking, movement and handling sounds and a full spectrum of important and useful mechanical action, loading, trigger, safety and other functional sounds produced by the common battlefield use (and abuse) of this weapon.
We've included 450 individual M1 Garand sound effects and segments, with individual presets for each category, as well as a master construction preset that includes all of the key sound elements in a single sound bank, with built-in auto-variation (round-robin) where appropriate.
Once you begin manipulating the pitch, tone, start position and other performance parameters and start applying our built-in convolution effects or any of your own, these classic and rather menacing mechanical wood and metal clicks, clunks, rattles, scrapes, rings, snaps and creaks can also become endlessly handy as raw and versatile sonic paint that can be applied to any number of common and uncommon aesthetics and themes, from sci fi to horror.
This library is specially designed to facilitate detailed, nuanced and high quality live Foley performances using the Native Instruments Kontakt sampler platform in any VST, AU or RTAS compatible and midi capable host sequencer. This special adaptation allows sound designers to become Foley artists and perform live to picture. It can also allow rapid iteration and implementation on the fly and it can bring whole new levels of personal artistry, improvisation and inspiration into your work. On the other hand, if you don't have Kontakt, no problem! You can use this library as a standard wav-based sfx library or manually convert and import it into any other sampler format you prefer.
Special thanks to the Texas Military Forces Museum at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas, for allowing us to photograph one of their historic pieces.
450 unique percussion/sfx samples made from actual rifle foley and range recordings:
- .30-06 Rifle Gunshot indoors (13 var.)
- .30-06 Rifle Gunshot outdoors (13 var.)
- Spent Brass Bounce on Concrete (18 variations)
- Spent Brass Bounce on Wood (29 variations)
- Butt and Handguard Grabs & Impacts (51 var.)
- Handle & carry rattles and clicks (16 var.)
- Heavy rifle shakes and rattles (8 variations)
- Action handling and ammo clip loading (119 var)
- Rack slide fast, w/ spent round eject (37 var.)
- Fast Bolt open and release cycle (24 var)
- Slow Bolt open and release cycle (43 variations)
- Bolt release and close hard (32 variations)
- Rifle Trigger clicks (20 variations)
- Rifle Safety Clicks (17 variations)
- Various metallic and wooden rattles, shakes clicks, slides, scrapes, scuffs and creaks.
- Round-robin variation and unique single-shot effects. Organized into 21 archive-ready bank wav files, with pre-regioned sound effects
- 171 MB installed
- 17 Kontakt 3.5 .nki instrument presets
- 42 Bonus custom convolution reverb impulses
- Standard sfx library configuration
- 450 SFX, with ready-to-extract regions
- 21 Pre-Regioned Broadcast Wav Files, ready to extract and export
- Deep bwf metadata, including keywords
- Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
- Custom scripted user interface with full automation support
- This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 3.5 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument / software sampler platform.
- Check out screenshots of our custom graphical user interface for Kontakt in the image gallery above. They provide a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode.
- This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library. However, the sample directories are fully accessible to allow user customization, import and mapping into other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats.
- The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab, or import this library into the Kontakt database and Quickload tools for easy navigation, loading and organization.
Please note: The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 3.5 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows XP or higher. Mac OSX 10.5 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 1 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library.