The Montclarion Hall Grand Piano is a classic Steinway 1926 parlor grand that lives in one of our favorite recording halls. We captured in wide stereo from three distinct microphone distances (internal, external/mid and far/hall) to allow custom and surround mixing and provide different ambient flavorings. It has a crisp, solid tone ideal for classical composing, yet works equally well for soul, jazz, rock and pop. But this 7+ GB library goes well beyond a simple classical grand piano library. It also includes a wide selection of extended "prepared piano" and very useful creative FX articulations, such as percussive pounds, slams, string scrapes, steel guitar slides, mallet and pick glisses, sweeps, plucks and much more.
Originally released in 2010, the Montclarion Hall Piano was recorded in a steep A-framed long hall in the hills above Oakland, CA. It's a place that truly resonates with us, in the same space that Mars, Venus, Mercury and the Apocalypse Percussion Ensemble were captured in, along with a whole host of former Tonehammer epic percussion and choral libraries. It has lush, rich, clear, well-defined and balanced natural acoustic reflections. In our ears, something about this magical room combined perfectly with this piano, creating the right holistic balance. The true instrument here is the piano and the hall together as one.
We recorded sustains and release samples, as well as performer "POV" sounds like pedal sfx, bench, lid and sheet music flutters. Then we popped the hood and went to work with fingers, mallets, picks and guitar slides, capturing a full collection of sweeps, scrapes, glisses, rumbles and other effects. Then we prepared the piano for a little special treatment, capturing 3 buzzy, resonant and raw tuned string percussion sets. Finally, we bloodied our knuckles and turned the piano into a 3-man percussion ensemble. Montclarion was recorded in an acoustic hall, which means there are subtle ambient sounds in the recordings giving a better and more rich expression to the instrument.
The close microphone is ideal for more intimate scoring. The mid microphone is great for a larger acoustic live feel and the far microphone has an incredibly dreamy texture to it. We also included a selection of live sfx ambiences, abstract atmospheres and evolving soundscapes that can accompany the piano in real-time, just to provide a bit of added inspiration.
- Classic Steinway 1926 Parlor Grand Piano
- Three Microphone Positions (close, mid, far)
- Naturally recorded hall grand piano, with lid open
- 3 stereo mic positions: close (player perspective), mid (6 meters) and far (30 meters)
- Sustain and release samples
- Natural pedal sfx recorded at multiple velocities
- Full effects section:
- 3 unique experimental prepared piano sets (tuned)
- Glisses, scrapes & sweeps
- Piano body percussion
- Player sfx (sheet music, bench movement, piano hardware, etc)
- 10 Ambient room tones, both from the hall itself and a variety of interesting locations and environments
- A collection of specially designed bonus FX presets
- 7.25 GB Installed
- 2,755 Samples
- 35 Kontakt 3.5 .nki instrument presets
- 24 bit / 44.1 kHz uncompressed PCM wav audio
- Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
- Includes a bonus collection of custom sound-designed ambiences, drones and special FX presets, as well as our favorite custom convolution reverb impulses and an advanced Kontakt user interface with full automation support.
- This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 3.5 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument / software sampler platform
- Check out screenshots of our custom graphical user interface for Kontakt in the image gallery above. They provide a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode
- This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library. However, the sample directories are fully accessible to allow user customization, import and mapping into other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats
- The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab, or import this library into the Kontakt database and Quickload tools for easy navigation, loading and organization
Please note: The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 3.5 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows XP or higher. Mac OSX 10.6 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 2 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library.