Your mix isn't finished until Ozone is on it.
The process of mastering ranges from correcting mistakes made in the mix to preparing a recording for target listening environments. Like a final coat of polish, mastering makes the difference between a good-sounding mix and a professional-sounding master. With Ozone 5, we've delivered the biggest update ever to our critically-acclaimed software mastering system, making it easier than ever for anyone to master their audio simply and efficiently.
In Ozone 5, every module has been updated with refined signal processing algorithms to bring you a new level of mastering quality. The most complete mastering suite available has never sounded better.
Guided by iZotope's expertise in DSP research, Ozone 5 combines the best nuances of both analog and digital worlds:
- Analog-modeled processing combined with linear phase precision
- Flexible sonic capabilities for adding realistic warmth, bite, punch, and space to your mix
- New IRC™ III Limiter for louder, fuller masters that preserve crisp transient detail
- Fully-revamped hybrid Reverb module
Optimized Work Flow
We've redesigned the Ozone user interface to make it even easier to dial in the professional sound you want. New users can get started right away and experienced Ozone fans will feel right at home.
Workflow enhancements allow for finer control while keeping important features right at your fingertips:
- Comprehensive preset manager with over 250 professionally-designed presets
- New per-module presets and intelligent module Amount Controls
- User-definable signal routing and extensive automation support
- Optimized for today's low-latency DAW environments
With Ozone 5, see your mix like never before! A broad variety of updated metering tools provide unprecedented visualizations of how mix elements fit together, guiding both your eyes and your ears to the perfect-sounding master.
Each processing module is complemented with useful spectrums, phase meters, vectorscopes and level histograms:
- For example, use the Gain Reduction Trace view to help set the compressor's release time, or watch the Correlation Trace to catch instantaneous phase problems
Ozone's critically-acclaimed Maximizer is essential for giving your recordings professional loudness and fullness. This powerful tool allows you to keep your master from clipping while dramatically lifting the perceived overall audio level. Ozone 5 features the third generation of iZotope's proprietary IRC™ (Intelligent Release Control) Limiter, which uses an advanced psychoacoustic model for transparent limiting. By running several different loudness control algorithms in parallel, IRC III intelligently chooses the algorithm in real-time that produces the lowest psychoacoustically perceivable artifacts. It's perfect for any master where you want more loudness without sacrificing crisp detail: keep the subtle snap of a snare rimshot in a country single, or give a club track incredible impact.
- Multiple modes of Intelligent Release Control technology for transparent limiting.
- New "Intelligent III" mode provides exceptional handling of transients without pumping or other undesirable limiting side effects.
- Stereo link control lets you unlink stereo channels to process left and right separately, and freely adjust between fully linked and independent limiting on both channels.
- Predictive limiting of "inter-sample clipping" keeps true analog levels in check.
- Adjustable threshold/margin, release and character controls let you fine-tune the Maximizer's response to your source material.
- Visual feedback provided through Gain Reduction Trace meters, a loudness histogram, and Mini-Spectrum display.
Equalizer and Post Equalizer
Ozone includes 2 paragraphic equalizers that combine 8 bands of adjustable bell filters and a variety of additional filters including High and Low Pass, High and Low Shelf, and Flat (Butterworth). Use the first EQ for initial shaping of your master, then take advantage of Ozone 5's new Post Equalizer for even more shaping later on in your signal chain, after the Dynamics and Exciter modules. New Analog-Matched EQ curves preserve analog behavior at high frequencies, giving Ozone 5 more authentic analog frequency response than EQs costing twice as much (or more!).
- Choose from analog-modeled EQ with "soft saturation" modeling or digital linear phase filtering with up to 16,000 bands of precision.
- Compare your mixes with a powerful spectrum analyzer that offers real-time and average modes, critical or third octave bands, and snapshots.
- The revamped Matching EQ makes it easier than ever to take spectrum snapshots of reference recordings to create "automatic" EQ curves, then apply them to your master.
- Unique new visualizations of phase delay and group delay by frequency let you see and better understand what effect your EQ choices have on the signal.
- Mid/Side mode provides independent, superimposed EQ curves for center and edges of the stereo image.
- Workflow enhancements: EQ left and right channels independently, and make precise EQ tweaks by zooming in and out both in time and frequency.
Ozone 5 includes a fully-revamped modeled Reverb module for adding a consistent and realistic sense of depth and space to your audio. Combining analog-style realism with digital flexibility, Ozone 5 uses convolution to create realistic early reflections, then constructs the late reverb tail algorithmically for increased control and a smooth decay. Designed to put a final sheen on the entire mix, Ozone's Reverb can enliven a live recording or flat-sounding mix while still preserving any sense of space created by reverb on individual tracks. Add subtle room tone without an obvious reverb effect, or thicken a mix with longer reverb decay times.
- Ozone 5 provides improved Plate and Room modes and a brand-new Hall mode.
- Control room size, pre-delay, width, frequency cutoff and more to personalize your mix's sense of space.
- Includes special controls to adjust the high and low decay times, solo the wet signal, and adjust the frequency response.
- Mid/Side processing lets you "dry out" the center of your mix while adding space to the edges, and much more.
Ozone provides the finest wordlength reduction algorithms available, allowing you to effectively convert and dither to 24, 20, 16, 12 or 8 bits. This is useful for, as an example, mastering a track for a CD (16-bit) from a 24-bit source. Ozone includes our proprietary MBIT+™ dither algorithm that reduces quantization distortion with minimal perceived noise. As a result, the algorithm produces smooth and quiet conversions for the best-sounding dither possible.
From Bob Katz, three-time GRAMMY award-winning mastering engineer and inventor of K-System metering: "MBIT+ is an impeccably-designed and versatile dither that can get all the information and purity of tone from my higher-resolution sources down to 16 bits with great success. With the wider range of noise-shaping choices in Ozone 5, MBIT+ is even more of a winner for me."
- Choose from three types of dither algorithms with six different noise-shaping options.
- New dither curves for 44.1 kHz and 48 kHZ, as well as design improvements to existing 44.1 kHz curves for a smoother and more consistent result.
- New Dither Shape view helps provide quick recognition of desired settings.
- Includes integrated DC offset filtering, auto-blanking and dither harmonic suppression for dynamic and transparent conversions.
- Unique set of bit scopes and DC level meters provide a complete view of the digital bitstream and conversion process.
Ozone's multiband Harmonic Exciter is more colorful than ever, with new enhancements for dialing in the perfect amount of bite or warmth to add to your master. Add analog character with a variety of Harmonic Exciter modes: easily add tube or tape saturation, accentuate even harmonics, and add punch or sparkle to your project. In addition, multiband and Mid/Side modes give you a huge range of sonic possibilities across the frequency spectrum and the stereo field.
- Choose from updated Retro, Tape, Warm or Tube exciter modes, all of which offer their own unique saturation characteristics.
- Select the new circuit-modeled Tube saturation for subtle warmth and transparent dynamics control.
- New Saturation Spectrum display shows excitation by frequency and features a Post filter that allows you to sculpt the Exciter's frequency output.
- Natural-sounding Peak Saturation adds harmonics without drastic gain changes.
- Unique multiband time offset controls for tightening and adding "attack" to bass and kick.
One of most powerful tools in Ozone is the multiband Dynamics module, which incorporates compression, limiting, expansion and gating. Finely tune the dynamics of your mixes with independent control over up to four frequency bands. With the all-new interactive Threshold control, set threshold points for the Limiter, Compressor, and Gate while never taking your eyes off of the gain reduction meter. Superimposed loudness history (histogram) and input/gain reduction meters provide extra insight while making your detailed Dynamics tweaks.
- Analog modeled, linear phase, and hybrid crossover filters with adjustable bandwidth and Q, plus a "Learn" mode that automatically sets crossover frequencies based on incoming audio.
- New Soft compression via a Hard/Soft knee mode for performing subtle and transparent compression to your mix.
- New color-coded All Bands mode lets you view and adjust all relevant settings for every dynamics stage of every band in one convenient location.
- Find the perfect compressor settings with the Gain Reduction Trace view, which plots the gain reduction of all dynamics bands on top of a scrolling waveform.
- Real-time visualization of the dynamics within each band, including gain reduction meters, level histograms, spectrum analyzer, and X-Y compression curves.
Ozone allows you precisely adjust stereo width and imaging for your master using a multiband Stereo Imaging module. As with the other multiband modules in Ozone, the module works with up to four frequency bands, letting you have independent control over stereo width by frequency. An integrated Vectorscope and Correlation Meter give you essential visual feedback for the mastering process, including new "Polar" vectorscope modes and a Stereo Balance meter.
- Visualize the stereo image with a powerful Phase/Channel meter display that highlights imaging, phase, and potential canceling problems.
- With the Stereo Width Spectrum view, see the width of your mix by frequency to set crossovers and see the effect of stereo imaging adjustments on different parts of the spectrum.
- With Antiphase Prevention, add width to any frequency band without causing mono compatibility problems.
- Apply multiband channel delay controls for adjusting the perceived location of the stereo field or correcting tape azimuth errors.
- Includes options for mono, phase flip and channel reverse.
Ozone is full of features designed to give you the best user experience possible. Whether you're new to mastering or a professional engineer, you'll appreciate the exclusive touches that set Ozone apart from other plug-ins.
Ozone's Preset Manager gives you over 250 professionally-designed starting points for mastering your projects. In Ozone 5, the MacroPreset system has been simplified and streamlined: quickly fine-tune a preset or your own settings, then use Ozone's Amount Controls to add more or less processing to each module.
- Ozone 5's new Module Preset Manager and module-specific presets let you quickly and easily mix and match presets in each of Ozone's modules for more flexibility.
- Even more genre-specific mastering presets are included for a wider range of styles.
- As a bonus, Ozone's presets are valuable teaching tools for learning to use Ozone's features.
Ozone's mastering modules are set to a logical processing order by default, but what if you want to create your own custom signal path? Simply open up Ozone's Filter Graph and you can drag and drop modules to re-order them. No patch cables needed! In addition, Ozone 5 now lets you have independent crossover settings for all multiband modules.
Undo History & A/B Tools
Have you ever wished you could undo the EQ changes you've made in a plug-in, only to find that your host program can't Undo these changes? This is a common problem, and one Ozone solves by including a comprehensive, built-in Undo History. Simply step back through your list of actions. You can even set A/B points in the history, so you can decide whether the settings you had a half hour ago sound better or worse than your current settings.
Mid/Side processing has been a trade secret of many mastering engineers for years. Ozone makes this powerful approach to processing audio more accessible than ever before. With Mid/Side mode enabled, Ozone converts the stereo information coming into the plug-in into mid and side signals, letting you work independently with the center of the stereo image or the edges. The result? You can surgically EQ the mud out of hard-panned guitars while preserving the vocal and kick drum in the center of your mix. You can add excitation or maybe a touch of room ambience to just the edges, and much more.
Ozone's Equalizer, Post Equalizer, Harmonic Exciter, Dynamics and Reverb modules all incorporate Mid/Side modes. Color coding allows you to easily see mid and side settings superimposed. Ozone's meters can also be used in Mid/Side mode.
Metering & Visual Feedback
Some plug-ins present you with a huge array of knobs but very little useful visual feedback. Ozone 5 is designed to give you vital visual information at every step of the mastering process. From phase and correlation meters for analyzing stereo imaging, to histograms and dynamics meters that help you see the effect of dynamics processing, to forward-thinking K-System input and output metering, Ozone gives you a wealth of visual information.
Operating system requirements:
- Windows: XP Service Pack 2 or later, x64, Vista, 7, Windows 8 (32- & 64-bit)
- Mac: OS X 10.6 or later (Intel-based Macs only), including Mac OS X 10.8
- Pro Tools 7.4–11 (RTAS, AudioSuite, 64-bit AAX), VST and VST 3, Audio Unit, DirectX, MAS*
- *Please note: MAS not supported for Insight
Plug-in host compatibility:
- Pro Tools 7.4+, Cubase, Nuendo, WaveLab, GarageBand, Logic, Audition, SONAR, ACID, REAPER, Sound Forge, Peak, Ableton Live, and many more