Stutter Edit: Play Effects Like an Instrument
- Play effects like an instrument
- Remix in real-time, on stage or in the studio
- Cutting edge audio slicing and manipulation
- Elegant and intuitive MIDI control
Who is it for?
How does it work?
Stutter Edit's features revolve around an innovative engine that continuously samples live audio, storing that audio in a buffer that can be manipulated in a myriad of ways. The key to unlocking Stutter Edit's capabilities is the use of Gestures: a set of effects and their associated timelines that reside on a single MIDI note. The audible result of a Gesture can vary from simple to complex—a Stutter Gesture could simply repeat a small chunk of audio at an 1/8 note rhythmic rate, or it could trigger a run of raging glitches that get decimated by a bit crusher before being filtered into a wash of echoes. Whoa.
Condensing such sonic adventures into a single key press is what makes Stutter Edit so playable, especially with its intelligent sense of timing. Stutter Edit is designed with musicality in mind, which frees you to make wild sounds that still feel like a natural part of your tracks. Outside of the studio, couple Stutter Edit with a host like Ableton Live to rocket your performances into a new world of organic improvisation.
The best way to learn more is to simply start playing, listening, and observing the power of Stutter Edit's controls. Get started by checking out feature details and audio samples below, then download the demo and try for yourself!
- Create incredible sweeps that transition from one rhythmic value to another, or repeat audio at a rhythmic note value with the Stutter Module.
- Choose a note value from 1/4 to 1/1024 for the Stutter Module to sweep or step between. That's not enough? Make your audio repeat at a high enough frequency to turn it into musical pitches with the Stutter Matrix.
- Create unheard-of stepping effects that transform your audio into complex rolls, trills and even arpeggios, using the Quantize Module. With Quantize off, Stutter Edit sweeps between note values continuously.
- Dice drum loops. Jump between notes in a vocal phrase. Use the Buffer Position’s slick radar screen to choose where Stutter Edit pulls audio out of the buffer. You can even randomize playback order for unexpected results.
Inject new colors and textures into your music with the real-time, instantly gratifying audio effects built right in to the Stutter Edit engine. Ride the new, real-time wave-changing paradigm. Whether combining filter sweeps with beat repeats, delays with reverse swoops or bit crushers with granular break-downs, let your music and effects do the talking, not countless hours of editing.
- Make aggressive resonant sweeps or create LFO-like modulation that locks to each Gesture's timeline using the Filter Module. Shape the sound of each key-controlled Gesture individually, or use the Global Filter to apply a buildup/breakdown filter sweep to your entire audio track.
- Fly from a subtle chorus to a springy rubber-band effect with the deep Delay Module. Dedicated resonant band-pass filters provide perfectly tweakable results to your wet, delayed signal.
- Get a dose of digital distortion crunch or add a periodic growl using the Bit Reduction Module. Like every Stutter Edit module, it'll move in sync with the tempo.
- Get back to the old-timey future with the Lo-Fi Module. Adjust the Lo-Fi settings to get a "vintage digital" vibe or bury the whole track in fuzz.
- Build tension, or drop a breakdown via a downward swoosh of noise, with the Generator’s Pitch Module. Scale the pitch of the Generator's noise tables over twelve octaves automatically.
- Add a little more bite by adding the Lo-Fi Module in the Generator Gesture for a grainy, gritty noise wash or stab.
- Release a dramatic build-up into a trail of decaying echoes with the Generator’s dedicated Delay Module, ensuring a perfectly smooth transition.
- Automate the Generator’s resonant Band-pass filter to shape and squelch blasts of noise.
Stutter Edit Presets
- Cut, jump, and reimagine your rhythmic pulse with the Cuts and Jumps and BT Signature category presets, Stutter Edit’s bread and butter.
- Warp all sense of time (while staying on grid and in tempo!) using the Time Warp category presets.
- Mix your audio 360 degrees through the audio space/time continuum by launching one of the Space and Delay or Stereo Tricks category presets.
- Bring back the sounds of old with presets laced in chip-tune, arcade-style nostalgia for glitches and beat juggling that marries the past with futuristic rhythms.
- Why stop there? Expansion Packs are available here as free downloads to further enhance your Stutter Edit experience.
- Elegant and intuitive MIDI control allows for simple setup, letting you focus on your music and your sound. Claim back those hours wasted adjusting hundreds of parameters in multiple third-party effects with mouse control.
- Variable curves enhance the modulation characteristics of the parameters themselves, creating interesting textures that develop over time.
- Automatic host sync, with custom definitions available for both Gesture Length and Release Mode, allows you full control over the music without the need to trigger effects perfectly in time.
- Super low CPU and rock solid stability allows for reliable live use.
- Windows: XP (32-bit Service Pack 3), Vista (64-bit), 7, 8
- Mac: OS X 10.6.8 - 10.9 (10.10 not supported)
Plug-in Formats: - Pro Tools 7.4–11 (RTAS, AudioSuite, 64-bit AAX), VST, VST3, Audio Unit, DirectX
NOTE: Stutter Edit works differently than other audio effect plug-ins, it requires MIDI input from your host to trigger its effects. Not all hosts allow you to send MIDI to audio effects.