- top rated
Imagine mastering your mixes without causing the lifeless, squashed, and over compressed sound that has become so common in modern music.
Slate Digital FG-X & iLok Bundle is available HERE
- Worldclass mastering compressor with transparent and articulate sound
- Revolutionary ITP process to make your mixes louder without degradation
- Controls for low and high punch
- Ultra precise mastering quality metering
Imagine mastering your mixes without causing the lifeless, squashed, and over compressed sound that has become so common in modern music. We have all been at the mercy of the "loudness wars" for over ten years now. Masters have become louder and louder, at the expense of the music becoming harsh and lacking punch and dynamics. One of the main causes of this epidemic is the use of the Peak Limiter to achieve increased levels in the mastering stage. Peak limiters attenuate transients and often reduce punch, stereo imaging, can greatly alter mix balances, and cause a fatiguing result to the ears.
Some of the top mastering engineers have found ways to combat this sonic degradation by using techniques other then Peak Limiting. One of the more popular techniques is the use of saturation in both the analog and digital domain. Another popular method is clipping the front end of expensive A/D converters.
However, both of these methods, while better than peak limiting, have their downfalls. Static saturation curves are not universal in their ability to sound good on all transients. Clipping greatly reduces low end punch and is very poor at retaining sub bass. Both static saturation and clipping have a small window of gain maximizing before audible distortion. Enter SLATE DIGITAL.
FG-X Dynamics Rack
ITP: The ITP process uses a complex lookahead detection algorithm to analyze oncoming transients and groups of transients. It then optimizes a specialized set of saturation curves for that specific transient. For example, if the ITP algorithm’s lookahead identifies a kick drum transient, it will optimize the algorithm so that it preserves low frequency energy. For a snare drum transient, it will optimize the algorithm to preserve upper mid range punch. The result is the most transparent means of level maximization the industry has ever heard, with extreme transparency, and no degrading artifacts common to peak limiters.
- The FG LEVEL maximization plugin offers the user complete control of their mix, before and after the level maximization process.
- The TRANSIENT function contains two controls to fine tune mix transients. Lo Punch allows you to transparently increase the level of the low energy in a mix, increasing the punch and dynamics without altering other elements of the mix. DETAIL adds more clarity and focus to the transients, perfect for buried snares or kicks.
- After the ITP powered GAIN maximizer, there is a function called Dynamic Perception. This amazing new process can make the final master sound more dynamic, open, and punchy, even though the master has much more limited dynamic range then the mix.
ITP Global Control
At the right of the Dynamic Perception control lies the ITP character slider. This control sets the global character of saturation curves that the ITP process will produce. The higher the slider, the more the transients in the mix will sound harder. The lower the slider, the more the transients will sound smoother. This great feature allows you to further customize your master with extreme precision.
True Mastering Quality Compression
Some mastering compressor plugins try to emulate vintage analog units and add color, harmonics, and different filters that change the way your mix sounds. In truth, most top mastering engineers use very little or no compression. When they do use compression, they use only the most transparent compressors that will not alter the tone or balance of the mix.
The FG Dynamics plugin is a true mastering quality compressor meant to control the dynamics of your mix in the most transparent way possible, not to color it with digitally modeled harmonics or distortions. The FG Dynamics compressor assumes that you have used your favorite color or tone compressor to achieve the sound on your final mix. It is the job of the FG Dynamics compressor to maintain that quality, not alter it. The advanced dynamics algorithm is so transparent, you'll wonder if its on!
In order to fine tune the FG-X Virtual Mastering Console, Slate Digital has had some of the top mastering engineers in the world help us test out the algorithms to ensure that they work in the finest and most accurate way possible. We are proud to say that the FG-X is the ultimate digital mastering solution, and will help you take your masters to new heights.
- Dual Core Intel Processor, At Least 4 GB of RAM
- Mac OS X 10.7 or later
- AU, RTAS, VST, AAX
- 32bit and 64bit for Mac OS X
- (iLok1 or iLok2 Required)
- Dual Core Intel or AMD Processor, At Least 4 GB RAM
- Windows 7
- RTAS, VST, AAX
- 32bit/64bit for PC
- (iLok1 or iLok2 Required)
PLEASE NOTE - AN ILOK IS REQUIRED FOR AUTHORISATION. REFUNDS WILL NOT BE GRANTED FOR CUSTOMERS THAT PURCHASE AND DO NOT OWN AN ILOK.